Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Small Groups

I'm a few weeks into my two small groups: Theology 101 and Storyline. Both make my head hurt for different reasons.

I joined Theology 101 in hopes that my Alpha group from the fall would stay together and have more great conversations. Since the fall, however, we have had two people move to different cities and most of the others joined different small groups.

I have continued going to Theology 101 because I find it intriguing. I have never been one to think through why I believe what I do. It is really great to see different sides and understand where people are coming from when you talk to them. I am not naturally into debates, but we are always asked to pick a side in the discussions. It has definitely been stretching me to think through some common beliefs I have had for years and why I choose to believe what I do.

Storyline is a small group based on Donald Miller's book. It is plotting our own life story timeline and seeing how we can use what we have been through to further the Kingdom of God. It makes me miss my home church in MI (Storyline Church) a lot. The people in the group are sharing their stories -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. I shared mine last week. I still cry. It still hurts even after ten years since most of the hardest events in my life have happened. Our group leader, Joel, does life coaching on the side, so I am hoping to meet up with him at some point before our group is finished to talk through life.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday. He said "You cannot imagine the amount of people who feel alone in this city. You are NOT ALONE." I share this to let you know that as well. It was comforting for me to hear those words. I am making small steps to try to find friends/community here, but lately I have felt lonely. It is worth the risk. Worth the effort. Worth the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment